The Spartan Light Metal Products Makerspace is a place where Washington University students, faculty, and staff will bring innovative ideas to life and join together to develop ideas that will impact the community and the world. We welcome both those who are new to making and experienced makers into a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment.
We are currently open for general use. Individual access to the Makerspace is by appointment only. Because of reduced capacity, appointments are not available while classes are in session.
Appointments can be made:
Monday: 10am – 1:45pm
Wednesday: 10am – 4:30pm
Thursday: 2:30pm – 6:00pm
Friday: 10am – 12:45pm and 3:00pm-4:30pm
- Payment for 3D print jobs and laser cutting materials must be made with BearBucks or interdepartmental charge
- Printer files will be prepared by members off-site and submitted using an online form (see “How do I submit a 3D print job” in FAQs). Makerspace staff will start the print job and notify the user when it is ready for pick up.
We offer three types of appointments to Makerspace members. You must have completed the online training in SafetySpot to access an online appointment form. Click here to make an appointment.
- Virtual Consultation – Zoom with a Makerspace Staff member to get assistance with your projects.
- Laser Cutter – Reserve time to come to the Makerspace and use the laser cutter. You must complete the laser cutter training on Safety Spot before you can use the laser cutter.
- General Makerspace Appointment – Reserve time to come use the equipment and tools in the Makerspace. You must complete the online Safety Spot training for the equipment before you come to the Makerspace. You should not make an appointment for 3D printing; instead follow the instructions for 3D printing above.
- Users must wash hands or use hand sanitizer when entering and before leaving the Makerspace. Users must also wipe down work areas and equipment with disinfectant.